Many great things have been said about our men and women in uniform who have served bravely, and still serve today. After all, it’s because of their sacrifices and courage, we enjoy the freedom to worship openly, vote in free elections and wake up safely in our own homes.
This year for Veterans Day, Freedom Alliance has compiled some of our favorite quotes for you to share with your friends and family. Visit us on Facebook and post your favorite quote and share a message of thanks to our American heroes.
1. “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it to our children in the blood stream. It must be fought for, protected and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset telling our children and our children’s children what is was like in the United States where men where free.” – Ronald Reagan
2. “Of the Marines at Iwo Jima, uncommon valor was a common virtue.” – Chester W. Nimitz
3. “Honor to the solider, and sailor everywhere, who bravely bears his county’s cause. Honor to him … who braves for the common good the storms of Heaven and the storms of battle.” – Abraham Lincoln
4. “That was not the biggest battle that ever was, but for me it always typified one thing; the dash, the ingenuity, the readiness at the first opportunity that characterizes the American soldier.” – Dwight D. Eisenhower
5. “We dare not forget that we are the heirs of that first revolution” – John F. Kennedy
6. “Courage is fear holding on a minute longer.” -George S. Patton
7. “The 2.4 million bright, brave, incredibly fit and remarkably talented young Americans who have served in our armed forces since we were attacked on 9-11-01 are all volunteers. As General Petraeus put it during a conversation we had in Afghanistan, ‘They all came or stayed, knowing they were going to war.’ For more than a decade, these patriots and their loved ones have made extraordinary sacrifices for this country. They embody the classical definition of heroes: those who put themselves at risk for the benefit of others.” – LtCol. Oliver North
8. “Some people wonder all their lives if they’ve made a difference. The Marines don’t have that problem.” – Ronald Reagan.
9. “This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it’s the home of the brave.” – Elmer Davis
10. “I was there. I saw your sons and your husbands, your brothers and your sweethearts. I saw how they worked, played, fought, and lived. I saw some of them die. I saw more courage, more good humor in the face of discomfort, more love in an era of hate and more devotion to duty than could exist under tyranny.” – Bob Hope
All quotes and photos are taken from Sacred Ground: A Tribute to America’s Veterans by Tom Ruck. All proceeds from Ruck’s book are donated to the Freedom Alliance Scholarship Fund, for the children of fallen soldiers.